Shark symbolizes authority, curiosity, efficiency, connection, guardianship, innovation, knowledge, mystery, observation, power, perception, protection, superiority, movement, and self-defense.
The above symbolizes Tope Awotona as it relates to navigating the waters of venture capitalism and a tech startup.
- Tope Awotona is the founder and CEO of scheduling software company Calendly.
- Awotona, a former salesman for tech firms including EMC (now Dell EMC), founded Calendly out of his own frustration with the back-and-forth emails required to schedule meetings.
- He bootstrapped Calendly for years before taking on a $350 million investment in 2021 that valued the firm at $3 billion.
- Born in Lagos, Nigeria, Awotona immigrated to the United States as a teenager.
- Before founding Calendly, he had started a few other businesses, including one that sold projectors and another that sold garden tools, that flopped.
Here are a few great Podcasts and YouTube Interviews that encapsulate why Tope Awotona embodies the Shark traits as it relates to our Animal Kingdom: Shark Series.